Thursday, January 10, 2013

Change Your Life in 90 Days

Is anyone tired of hearing about the newest weight loss system? How about the latest fitness craze. Truth is, most care immensely more about what they look like, rather than who they are. I have fallen into that trap and will do it again.

When I was a young boy playing peewee football for the Isle of Palms Rec department, we all went to the yearly awards banquet. I had never been to one of these before and I wanted to look just right. So, I took a bath, washed and brushed my hair (and yes, I did used to have hair!), and got dressed in some casual clothes. As we were leaving, I started doubting my choice of wardrobe. Suppose this was a more formal affair? Suppose everyone else was dressed up and I wasn't? So, I tried to call my friends and teammates to find out what they were wearing. By the time I was making the phone calls, everyone had obviously already left. All I could think about was what I would look like that night. I was one anxious little fellow. So, my mom dressed me appropriately and off we went. When we arrived, i pretty much looked like everyone else. But, truthfully, no one really cared. This was a football banquet and it was all about going with your parents to get some awards and eating some dinner. it didn't matter what we looked like, as long as we were clean and neatly dressed.

Here's the lesson: as long as you look presentable and clean, what we look like is not nearly as important as we make it out to be. But there is something that is much more important: our character. Who are we deep inside?

For the most part, once we mature, we are who we are. But there is one way to change our lives: by the supernatural power of the Spirit of God. He works in many ways in our lives, but none more than the way He works through the Bible. The Bible was given us not to have some cake on special occasions, but to be bread for daily use. It is intended to change our lives.

Colossians 3:10 tells us that "you are living a brand new kind of life that is continually learning more and more of what is right and trying constantly to be more like Christ." The more we learn about Christ, yield to Him and His will, the more we change into His likeness.

Hope you'll join us for these next 90 days as we read through the New Testament. There have already been many reports as to how the Lord has spoken in a clear and direct way in these last few days as people have opened their hearts and minds to God. It's truly an awesome thing to be a part of.

DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE 90 DAY READING PLAN HERE

Let's see what God can do in our lives as we make the Word of God a daily part of our lives. I'm sure He's ready to change us beginning today.

Learn about S.P.A.C.E. P.E.T.S. for Devotional Reading HERE

Pastor Trey Rhodes

Coming this week...

Let's get smart with our money and learn practical and biblical principles to free ourselves. Sermon series begins this Sunday, January 13, 2012 at 10:30 a.m.

Small groups start back this week. Be sure to get to yours this week!

Calling our community this Thursday, January 17th at 6:30 p.m. What a great opportunity to minister and serve our neighbors spiritually.

No comments:

Post a Comment