Thursday, July 19, 2012

Camper of the Day

This week of camp has been phenomenal. What should've have taken days only took hours. On Tuesday, we saw 10 campers come to Christ. It was amazing as 2 campers in particular had been struggling with the claims of the Gospel. One told me, "I have been reading several of the books of other religions. This past week, I asked God to tell me which way was right. Tonight He spoke clearly to me, and I asked Christ into my life." This is just a sampling. We heard many stories of students searching for truth and now finding the way.

In the midst of all the activity and transformation, we also had several students who went beyond the call of duty as servants, as leaders, and by example. We called them campers of the day. They saw camp as an opportunity to demonstrate Christlikeness in everyday common situations. We recognized and applauded them. We celebrated them. They deserved it.

There are two things I learned from this week:

1) Our young people are a cut above. I as their pastor am extremely proud of them. Allie expressed to me how impressed she was for the way they handled themselves.

2) Pleasing God is also a part of our everyday life. We are not called to be Christians of the day, but lifetime followers of God.

One day, when I stand before my Lord and Savior, I long for Him to say to me, "Well done good and faithful servant." Who knows? After pleasing Him in this life, He could very well look at me with a twinkle in His eye and say, "Well done, you were Christian of the Day!"

Starting this week, let's make it our goal to please Him, not as campers of the day or even Christians of the day, but, every single day. And on that day, may we hear Him say, "Well done!" That will be enough.

Pastor Trey Rhodes

footnote: these are all pics from Camp Kinetic 2012 at Epworth by the Sea, st. Simons Island, Georgia.

Thanks for your prayers! God has done a work on these students lives. Encourage them and pray for them. The real test begins NOW and they need us!!

2 comments: