Saturday, June 16, 2012

Perfect "Creekside Farm" Scrambled Eggs

As a child, I grew up on an egg farm. The first years of my life were spent chasing chickens, watching the ladies sort eggs, enjoying the day of baby chick delivery, and even getting the occasional kick by a horse or or two. It was great fun and quite an experience for any child. And it all happened in the boonies of Mount Pleasant. You see, Creekside subdivision was my Grandad's chicken farm.

Because of that I grew up eating eggs. I heard that there were all kinds of ways to eat them, but my experience was of the scrambled sort. I had no idea how to cook scrambled eggs, I just ate them with a lot of toast on the side, and the toast had to be drowned with chunky applesauce. Mmmmmmmm..... But I digress. As I got older, I realized that my Grandad was the one who cooked them...and there was a certain way he did it. Then, when I became an adult, I wanted to know how he did it. So, when he wasn't paying attention I watched...and learned. I have been cooking scrambled eggs the same way ever since.

So, here's the secret to perfect scrambled eggs. Never before published...that I know of. Hope you enjoy these tender, succulent, wonderful Creekside Scrambled eggs.

Ingredients:

Eggs: this recipe is for 6 eggs, but you'll need 1 to 2 per person...3 for really large appetites.

1/4 cup Canola or Olive oil (a little less if cooking fewer eggs, a little more for more eggs)

Salt and pepper to taste

Paprika for garnishing

Cooking Procedure:

1. Begin with a good non-stick pan (otherwise you lose half the eggs in the pan). I bought a good commercial pan at Berlin's Restaurant Supply for around $20. Just a suggestion.

2. Liberally cover the bottom of a 10" pan with oil. A couple of glugs usually do it for me. It will be more than a coating. It turns about to be a 1/4 cup. I just eyeballed it in the pan and then measured it. You are welcome to use a little less, but not much. This is one of the keys to these scrambled eggs. As much as you might grimace at that amount, it really is the key to soft, moist scrambled eggs.

3. Crack eggs in pan with oil. DO NOT scramble yet. Add salt and pepper to taste.

4. Turn stove to low medium heat.

5. Watch eggs. As the oil begins to heat, it will begin to turn the eggs white. Once the eggs on the bottom are white, using a spatula, scrape them up and turn them over. At this point, I break the yokes while turning them.

6. This is the point where you must tend them. They will cook slowly at first, but it won't take long once they begin to firm up.

7. As the eggs firm, slide the spatula against the bottom of the pan and gingerly flip the eggs on the bottom to the top of the pile.

8. Continue this procedure until the eggs are as firm as you would like. Mine tend to be on the soft side, which is what I recommend. BUT there should never be any liquid eggs in the pan NOR should they be hard. Strike a balance between what we call runny (that won't do at all) and rubbery (yuck!).

9. Get your eggs out the pan immediately. Otherwise, they will continue to cook.

10. Place eggs in a bowl to serve. Sprinkle with a generous amount of paprika. It has a little peppery taste without any heat and gives your masterpiece a nice finished look.

Serve and enjoy!

Trey Rhodes

 

No comments:

Post a Comment