Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Serving Our Supernatural God Miraculously

Is anyone among you suffering? He should pray. James 5:13
There are so many people hurting in our world today. The good news/scary news is (depending on how you feel that day), God wants you and me to be a miracle in their lives. For that to happen, we must be open to others as we listen for God's nudges. Most people have experienced one, or at the most, two miracles in their lives. I know in my life, God all but raised me from the dead after experiencing a dissected aorta. But, I have to ask myself is that the only miracle I can point to since I became a follower of Christ, or is there more God wants to do through me?

Our small group is studying a book and video by noted Christian author, Bruce Wilkinson. The book is titled: You Were Born for This: Seven Keys to a Life of Predictable Miracles. The gist is that while God wants us to minister in His name, He expects us to allow His supernatural power to flow through us in order to touch lives around us. He calls these, "Everyday Miracles." At the end of our first session, we asked the group to be open to God using them, look at people around them, and listen in their minds and hearts for God's nudges. We  then prayed for each other to be used this upcoming week.

Monday is my day off. But, as all pastors know, that simply means you are on call. It doesn't surprise me when something comes up to take care of. The difference this Monday was I was actually expecting something to happen so I could be the supernatural conduit of God in someone's life. I didn't have to wait for long. My phone rang and a lady in our church and my small group said that her husband was having chest pains. We immediately prayed for him and her. I got up, showered, dressed, shaved, and got out of the house to get to the hospital. Once I was there, I waited, then searched, and then finally found them in an examining room thanks to a nurse's directions. Here I was, I thought, already being a supernatural conduit in a life. I was thankful. But God wasn't finished yet.

After we prayed and asked God to work in this man's life, I left them to get their things together. They were going to check out after having a good EKG. There were some problems, but not near what we thought. Thank you, Lord! So, I left the room, walked into the hall, and nearly bumped into a security guard. I had noticed a "segway" type scooter on the way in, so in that awkward moment, I asked if I she got to ride it much. She said she did and that was that. I walked out of the hospital on on towards the van. Just as I was reaching the van, I felt one of those nudges. If you've ever had one, at first you just think it's you. Regardless, this is what I heard (no, not audible...much louder than that!), "Ask her if she needs help." I didn't say yes or no, I just kept walking. Then it hit me again. This time I knew it was the Lord. So I spun around and looked to see if she was still there. She was. The next thought that came to me was, "I'll never reach her before she goes back inside to her station." But she just stood there and waited...for me? It sure seemed like it.


Finally, I reached her and asked, "This might sound strange to you, but is there anyway I can help you?" She looked at me wide-eyed and didn't answer. So I introduced myself and asked again if there was anyway I could help. She then said, you can pray for me. I said gladly. The lady and man I had gone to be with then walked out the door, so I called them over to pray with us. There in that parking lot, we met God. That asphalt became holy ground. Truly in that moment, heaven met earth. As we finished praying, the security guard looked up at me with tears in her eyes and said, "How did you know I needed someone to pray for me?" My answer, I didn't but God did. She was so grateful that someone cared enough to pray for her in a desperate time of need.

Followers of Christ, God wants to use you. You don't have to be a pastor or a missionary. You don't have to take a trip in a time machine to go back to the first century. God wants to use you in 21st century America. God is waiting. Listen for His nudges and be aware of hurting people all around you who need a supernatural touch from God. He wants to, they are there, and you are His miracle providing servant.
Therefore, get your minds ready for action, being self-disciplined, and set your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 1:13 (HCSB)
Ready to serve, 
Pastor Trey Rhodes

www.MyOceansideChurch.com

MyOceansideChurch.podbean.com

OCAnnounce.info.com



No comments:

Post a Comment