Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Does God Need Me?

Common Ground Church
This past Sunday, I was in Eutawville. Why? My friend and fellow "super friend" (old inside joke), Tommy Wolpert, was on mission in Mexico. He asked me to preach for him at the new church start, Common Ground. They began meeting in January and really got it going in March of this year. It was a great day! Lives were touched, as several admitted their need for Jesus as forgiver and leader of their lives. I also got to renew the acquaintances of more people than I even remembered! After the worship service, I went and ate Mexican food afterwards with a dear couple that our Lord continues to use greatly. All in all it was a great day.

Does He really need me?
But the greatest part of the day was realizing how God's work goes on once we are gone from the work. I once again realized God really doesn't need me. None of us are indispensable in the Kingdom of God. It truly is all about God. Even without my influence, this church meets in a renovated brick building. This once abandoned building has become a place of life change. Without me having a thing to do with it. 

Fruit that remains
How does that happen? It happens when you and I bear authentic fruit in our lives. Fruit that remains. The apostle John exhorts us this way: "I appointed you that you should go out and produce fruit and that your fruit should remain" (John 15:16, HCSB).



My heart was touched
As I looked over the standing room only crowd, I had a hard time swallowing because of the lump in my throat. The fruit that was produced 11 plus years ago keeps on bearing fruit. The kind of fruit I'm talking about is people. People like Pastor Tommy Wolpert. This man who is called of God to begin a church to reach and love and care for people. His call reminds me of what Jeremiah said, "His message becomes a fire burning in my heart, shut up in my bones. I become tired of holding it in" (Jeremiah 20:9, HCSB) There are so many that desperately need not only to know Jesus as Savior, but also follow him as Lord. I see that happening at Common Ground church. We can all make a difference if we are are willing to get in the center of God's will. Thank you Pastor Tommy for you obedience and love for Christ and His church. My prayer is that you are now growing fruit that ripens and spreads the seed of the Gospel in more and more lives.

Thinkin' 'Bout Oceanside

  • I missed you all this week. I heard Pastor Ivey preached a great message and that you responded. 
  • This will be our first week in the Waterworks Building. How do you get there? Turn in to the same driveway as if you were going to Whitesides School, then take the immediate first left into the parking lot. We'll direct you from the parking lot. 
  • KidShine will be in the ministry center at 1728 Rifle Range Rd. this Sunday. So, take your kids there and then come on over to the Waterworks building. Kids...scream all you want (at least as much as Mrs. Allie lets you!). This includes the Little Lambs nursery as well who will also be at the Ministry Center.
  • Small groups are open to you. Make sure you are in one this week. Our website gives you sign-up options at this link: small groups.
  • Many of us are having a difficult time with our finances during these tough economic times. Rather than curse the darkness, Oceanside wants to light a light. We will begin our new series, "I Was Broke and Now I'm Not." It's a great way to really get a handle on our finances. The leader of the study is Joseph Sangl. Click on his name to get more information online.
Humbly bearing His fruit,
Pastor Trey Rhodes
Oceanside Church

No comments:

Post a Comment